Italian sausage, hearty tomato sauce, and vegetables, topped with mozzarella in between two slices of sweet Italian bread.
This year on Super Bowl Sunday, the game didn't start until 6:30pm EST. Since we're looking to buy a farm in the area, and the game started in the evening, we decided to take a drive to one we found listed for sale a couple hours away. By the time we returned home the game was almost on and we needed to make something for dinner that was both easy and great for munching in front of the TV.
Being short on time (I feel like that sentence is my motto), I needed to make something for dinner that both pleased my football fans and wouldn't drive me crazy to put together in short time. Italian Sloppy Joe Sliders. Imagine traditional sloppy joe sandwiches, but replace the ground beef with Italian sausage and the traditional tomato sauce replaced with RAGÚ® (I used the Homestyle Thick & Hearty Flavored with Meat Sauce variety),
The sauce is pretty easy, especially since half of it involves opening a jar of Ragu sauce. First, I cooked and browned the sausage. Once that was done, I added chopped tomatoes, black olives, a diced green pepper. Then I added the Ragu sauce and let it simmer for a couple minutes.
Then I sliced up the Italian bread. First in half, lengthwise down the middle, and then into slider-sized sandwiches pieces. I toasted it at 350 degree for 10 minutes to give it a toasty texture. Top the bottom half of the slider with sauce, sprinkle parmesan and mozzarella cheese, and top with a basil leaf. Then add the top of the bun. Easy peasy.
My youngest son, Rowan, grubbing on an Italian Sloppy Joe Slider
The beauty of this recipe is that it's so easy and tasty because it uses Ragu. How much simpler can it get? I saved a ton of time using it. If you would like to find more recipes like this one from Ragu, check them out online. There are many sauces to choose from. I used the Home Style Thick and Meaty sauce, but there are several more. Learn more about other Ragu Homestyle sauces here.
Since Ragu has turned 80 (happy birthday, Ragu!), celebrate with them and show off your family traditions in the kitchen. Tag your pics #twistedtastes so I can see them.
p.s. Despite how awesome I might appear online, mistakes happen. If you happen to spot one on this recipe, save your fellow cooks a disaster and let me know by using the contact form.
Italian Sloppy Joe Sliders
- Slice the Italian bread in half lengthwise and into sandwich size pieces. Place on a baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the bread for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, brown the Italian sausage on medium heat.
- To the skillet, add the diced red bell pepper, black olives, parsley, and tomatoes. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the bell pepper is soft.
- Add to the skillet the RAGÚ® Meat Sauce. Allow to simmer for an additional 5 - 10 minutes on low heat.
- Spoon the sauce on the bottom half of each sandwich.
- Sprinkle the parmesan and mozzarella cheese on each sandwich.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven.
- Place a basil leave on each sandwich and replace the top half of the bun.
Check out these other recipes